SEC’s Questions to Ask Financial Advisers
In October 2013, the Investor Advisory Committee to the SEC's "Investor as Purchaser" subcommittee identified the following key factors relevant to the selection of a financial adviser.
These are very general guidelines that will get you thinking, quoted directly from the subcommittee's report.
- What services do you provide?
- What and how do I pay you?
- How are you compensated?
- What are your conflicts of interest?
- Are there other limitation on your services?
- What is your professional background?
- Are there any blemishes on your disciplinary record?
- What is your legal obligation to me?